Thursday, September 8, 2011

I bet you think this song is about you...

One time during a late night nursing session when Gavin was a tiny baby, I was watching a bio special on Ray Charles. The next day (or was it just a few hours later -- it was like one long day at that point), I had the song "Georgia On My Mind" in my head, so I started singing it to Gavin, substituting "Gavin" for "Georgia." He loved it, and always seemed to prefer it over any other lullabies or nursery songs for a long time. I chalked it up to my baby liking songs with soul like his mommy, but whatever the reason, it was a favorite.

After that, I started substituting his name into all kinds of songs whenever it fit, and here is our current list:
  • "G" is for Gavin (otherwise known as "C" is for Cookie)
  • My Baby lies over the Ocean (My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean)
  • The Batman theme song (You know, Na na na na na na na na, Na na na na na na na na -- GAVIN!)
  • And he's sometimes featured on Old MacDonald's farm (with a burp, burp here and a burp, burp there)
When my former boss had kids, she didn't know any nursery songs, so she changed the words to popular commercials into songs for baby. I'd love to know the silly (or sweet) songs you sing to your little cuties.

3 comments:

  1. Our favorite was (to the tune of "I've got Rhythm, I've got music...") "I've got Noelle. I've got Ross Phelps. I've got my kids who could ask for anything more?" lol! I still sing it to them and they still giggle, just like they've done for the past five years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a perfect one, Leanne! I love it! I have to admit, I wasn't recalling the entire tune, and when I looked it up on YouTube, I found this great performance by Debbie Gravitte. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQRp9XIa2II
    I can only guess that what she said about the "dummy lyrics" Gershwin wrote is true, but maybe I was supposed to know that was a joke... Anyway, thanks! I am definitely adding that one to my "Gavin" repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Okay, so first, I love your blog! It's so very cute in so many ways (well written too)! :) Great job!

    So, this is a song that I made up with Gavin one day. I was singing 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star' to him, and I changed the words '...star, how I wonder what you are', then I just kept changing parts until we got this:

    Giggle, Giggle, Little Gavin,
    What a lot of fun we're havin',
    Playin' with toys and singing songs,
    We'll have fun all the day long,
    Giggle, Giggle, Little Gavin,
    What a lot of fun we're havin'.

    Just something fun and silly. :) So, cute all the songs you sing to him! :)

    ReplyDelete